(Read part 1 of this post series here!)
6. People don’t care what you know or (even) what you’ve done. They care ABOUT, are interested BY and want to learn HOW … you think. Period. That’s the key differentiator.
That’s why your clients keep coming back AND telling their friends about you. Because of the way you think. Because you Have a Beautiful Mind (ahem, top three books I read this year.)
Which means that ideas are your greatest source of income. Which means you better recognize your own thinking patterns. Which means everything you know should be written down somewhere.
7. Principles, not techniques. Techniques, seven-step systems, formulas and tactics can (and will) fail. And many of them are manipulative. And people don’t like them. And people can oppose them AND because they CAN come off as contrived and choreographed.
Principles, on the other hand – that is, universally accepted truths – are more effective tools for getting your point across.
And, as usual, are less threatening.
8. Seekers beware. My mentor/friend Arthur Scharff says, “Seeking leadership destroys the journey.”
So, don’t worry about whether or not you’re a leader. Instead, focus on being passionate.
And as a result, people WILL follow you. Hell, they may even call you a leader!
9. The Smarty Pants Wins. Consultants, trainers, speakers, authors, experts … forget about it. All commodities.
Companies don’t want to hire consultants.
They want to hire cool, smart people who happen to do consulting. Or speaking. Or training. Or recruiting. Or financial planning. Or whatever.
LESSON LEARNED: be cool and smart.
Stop boxing your value in with some stupid role or job title.
Don’t be “Dave the Consultant.”
Be “Dave That Really Smart, Creative, Cool Guy Who Always Has Awesome Ideas That I Think Owns His Own Consulting Firm.”
10. That, not what. For example: it doesn’t matter WHAT you write, it only matters THAT you write.
It doesn’t matter WHAT you create, it only matters THAT you create.
It doesn’t matter WHAT you laugh about, it only matters THAT you laugh about.
It doesn’t matter WHAT you do when you’re together, it only matters THAT you’re together.
You get the point. That, not what.
(Read part 3 of this post here!)
LET ME ASK YA THIS…
What three things have you recently UN-learned?
LET ME SUGGEST THIS…
Post them here!
* * * *
That Guy with the Nametag
Enjoy this post?
If so, perhaps I could help on a more personal, one-on-one basis.
Rent Scott’s Brain today!