Anagrams are cool.
Eleven plus two = Twelve plus one. Same letters.
A decimal point = I’m a dot in place. Same letters.
Morrison = Mr. Mojo Risin. Same letters.
George Bush = He bugs Gore. Same letters.
Now, beyond clever wordplay, anagrams also suggest something deeper.
THINK ABOUT IT: If the switching the letters of one word creates a NEW word that eerily connects to the original word … that has to mean something.
This scientific property of creativity is called “unconscious integration,” and it proves that there is more inherent geometry in our language and ideas than we realize. So, next time you’re doing a word exploration to gain an understanding of an abstract concept, I add anagramming to your Wordsmithing process. Here’s a powerful experiment you can conduct…
1. Go to www.wordsmith.org and click on the anagram creator.
2. Type in your favorite word, the subject of your new book or an idea your company is playing with.
3. When the list compiles, extract the words that catch your eye. Start a blank document and make your OWN list.
4. Finally, let your creativity run wild with associations, connections and integrations that challenge your current thoughts. This test never fails to reveal new, unexpected sides to a concept you once thought was so simple.
You can’t spell “leadership” without “healer.” Cool.
You can’t spell “networking” without “known.” Whoa.
You can’t spell “marketing” without “nag.” Interesting.
I recently ran this experiment with the word attraction. Here’s what I came up with:
1. You can’t spell A-T-T-R-A-C-T-I-O-N without the word … Action.
TRANSLATION: That means more doing and less talking. How many times did you blog last week?
2. You can’t spell A-T-T-R-A-C-T-I-O-N without … Actor.
TRANSLATION: You’re method acting and the character is YOU. What do people get when they get you?
3. You can’t spell A-T-T-R-A-C-T-I-O-N without … Attic.
TRANSLATION: Clear the cobwebs off your old marketing. Stop wasting your money on phone book ads. Nobody even uses those stupid things anymore. How often are you reinventing yourself?
4. You can’t spell A-T-T-R-A-C-T-I-O-N without … Cantor.
TRANSLATION: Stop yelling and interrupting. Start SINGING gorgeously like a cantor at Yom Kippour services. (Not literally, of course. But you get the point) People might listen. Is your marketing making music or noise?
5. You can’t spell A-T-T-R-A-C-T-I-O-N without … Car.
TRANSLATION: Successful businesspeople don’t advertise their businesses on the windows of their cars. How are you marring your own credibility?
6. You can’t spell A-T-T-R-A-C-T-I-O-N without … Icon.
TRANSLATION: Your logo needs to symbolize something bigger than you. Something powerful and emotional that connects to people’s worldview. Do you REALLY think naming your company after your own initials is remarkable?
7. You can’t spell A-T-T-R-A-C-T-I-O-N without … Orca.
TRANSLATION: Be a whale in your industry. Be the man. That Guy. The Go To Gal. The person everybody who does what you do, knows. Are you The Observer or The Observed?
8. You can’t spell A-T-T-R-A-C-T-I-O-N without … Ricotta.
TRANSLATION: Cheesy doesn’t always mean ineffective. Are you willing to embrace hokeyness?
9. You can’t spell A-T-T-R-A-C-T-I-O-N without … Tacit.
TRANSLATION: You shouldn’t have to explain it. People should “get” it right away, or at least within ten seconds. Anything after that and you’ve lost ‘em. How quickly can you explain what you do?
9. You can’t spell A-T-T-R-A-C-T-I-O-N without … Tonic.
TRANSLATION: Be the pill. End people’s pain. They will flock to you. What are you the answer to?
10. You can’t spell A-T-T-R-A-C-T-I-O-N without … Traction.
TRANSLATION: Shtick might get you in the room; but only SUBSTANCE will keep you at the party. Are you a Dum-Dum or a Tootsie?
LET ME ASK YA THIS…
What word spells “attraction” for you?
LET ME SUGGEST THIS…
For the list called, “7 Ways to Out Attract Your Competition,” send an email to me, and I’ll send you the list for free!
* * * *
That Guy with the Nametag
Author, Speaker, Coach, Entrepreneur
Or, watch The Nametag Guy in action here!