The only thing cooler than learning is UN-learning.
Changing past programming.
Reconditioning your brain.
Rethinking old-school assumptions.
So, here’s a list (part 1 of 3) of some things I’ve recently UN-learned:
1. Don’t create FOR. Not for anyone or anything. Just create. Detach from outcomes. Be autotelic, not exotelic. And stop trying to label everything. Just do stuff for the purpose of doing stuff. Do it because you love doing it.
This will lower your inhibitions and enable your natural creativity to flow organically.
Heck, you’ll probably create some pretty cool stuff in the process.
And eventually, (hopefully), the “for” will appear on its own. It will be a nice added bonus when someone wants to buy your work. (However, even if they don’t, at least you enjoyed making it!) It’s a win-win.
2. Don’t get, CAUSE. Whether it’s sales, management, creativity or facilitating a group discussion, don’t “get” people to buy. Or listen. Or participate. Or ask questions.
Instead, cause them to do so. Maintaining a “get” mindset creates a pushy attitude.
“Causing,” on the other hand, sounds a lot less threatening.
3. Don’t make your website scream, “Hey! Look at me!” Instead, make it scream, “Here’s exactly what you were looking for!”
I’ve recently realized how the user-generated, “My” Culture created by Google, YouTube and Tivo proves that THEY (meaning customers) call the shots. Not us. (Thanks for this one, Seth Godin)
4. Effective speakers don’t always have to speak. This isn’t just about making powerful pauses; this is about audience engagement. After all, their combined knowledge is probably greater than that of the speaker.
And ironically, the longer amount of time a speaker has to speak (one hour vs. half-day session) the LESS the speaker should be speaking. Weird.
5. Environment, not people. You can’t control people. You can only manage the environment in which they interact.
So, your challenge is to create a healthy, organic, friendly atmosphere that is conducive to whatever you’re trying to accomplish.
(Read part 2 of this post here!)
LET ME ASK YA THIS…
What three things have you recently UN-learned?
LET ME SUGGEST THIS…
Post them here!
* * * *
That Guy with the Nametag
Enjoy this post?
If so, perhaps I could help on a more personal, one-on-one basis.
Rent Scott’s Brain today!